Certificate in Narcissistic Abuse and Survivor Treatment© (N.A.S.T.-P1)
This certificate training is a post-graduate trauma-specific training for treating survivors of pathological relationships known as ‘narcissistic abuse’ (with narcissists, anti-socials, and psychopaths) by field pioneer Sandra L. Brown, M.A., and the field body association—The Association for NPD/Psychopathy Survivor Treatment, Research & Education.
Sandra L. Brown, M.A. is referenced as a field pioneer for her earlier books, work, and research that introduced the concept of pathological relationships theory and treatment. As a founding source of theory and treatment, this flagship certificate program teaches the originating theory, concepts, and practices for practitioners to refine their application of the principles and trauma-based approaches and have a comprehensive view of these relationships related to survivor’s unique traumatic stress responses, treatment needs, and corresponding methodologies.
The Certificate as a N.A.S.T-P1 (Narcissistic Abuse and Survivor Treatment—Professional 1) is available to those are:
- Licensed in a mental health profession at the master’s degree or higher from an accredited university in a psychology/psychology-related discipline
- Who already have trauma certification as CCPT 2 or higher (see evergreencertifications.com) or acquire it as part of an inclusive training program (see PESI.com)
- Who completed the 40 hour training program with the grade of 80 or above
Workshops are available on this website and at PESI.com.
Marriage and Family
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner
- LMSW (Michigan or Nebraska)
The candidate is required to attain the educational training associated with the certificate (which is a minimum of 40 hours of post-graduate topic-specific continuing education courses) as well as holding, or attaining, Trauma Certification (a minimum of 12 hour Trauma Certification training). (See below).
Topic Specific Certificate Level Courses Required
** The courses leading to the Certificate can be acquired two ways—
- One is through The Association website (survivortreatment.com) if you already have Trauma Certification
- OR if you do not already have Trauma Certification, through PESI.com in an inclusive package which includes the three workshops + Trauma Certification workshop
Core Competency Certificate Course: Workshop 1 (Taken first) (2 days – 12 hours)
Narcissistic/Psychopathic Abuse: The Clinician’s Guide to the New Field of Traumatic Pathological Love Relationships (Narcissistic Abuse)
Core Competency Certificate Course: Workshop 2 (Taken second) ( 2.5 days 16. 5 hours)
Treating the Survivor of Narcissistic and Psychopathic Abuse: A Clinical Focus on Evidence-Based and Trauma-Informed Treatment Protocols (Advanced)
*Title slightly different at PESI, Inc.
*Requires Trauma Certification
Core Competency Certificate Course: Workshop 3 (Taken third) (1 day 7.5 hours)
Therapeutic Legal Aid: Family Court Impact on Survivors of Narcissistic Abuse
*Title slightly different at PESI, Inc.
Mixed and Matched?
Some therapists took a course or two from the Certificate Course list at PESI and some from The Association. No Problem. We accept both.
Trauma Certification Training Standards
Students are required to have, or acquire, Trauma Certification as the C-NAST training is an advanced trauma training course requiring prior trauma training in order to understand, and institute, the trauma treatment methods.
Students should have, or acquire Trauma Certification (examples listed below), BEFORE taking our Level 2 workshop ‘Treating the Survivor’ which requires Trauma Certification, for that course or any other adjunctive courses offered by The Association.
The CCTP-Level II training or similar is what is minimally required.
Acquiring Documentation of the Certificate Completion
- When the inclusive Certificate package (with Trauma Certification) is taken through PESI, Inc., you will have the ability to download your Certificate after your online testing. Email that to us (see below).
- If you took the courses through The Association website, simply email a copy of your Letter of Completion OR CEs (whichever you acquired) AND a copy of your previously existing Trauma Certification (Certificate or CE, whichever you acquired).
- Subject Line: Certificate Completion
- Email to: survivortreatment (at) gmail (dot) com **
- We will email you your Certificate (if taken from The Association). PESI will issue it if taken from them.
** Please send all of the documents in one email.
Once you have completed the Certificate course, you are eligible to be listed in our directory.
Therapist Referral Network Database Directory
As the field association, we offer therapists who have completed the N.A.S.T. Certificate Course (through The Association or PESI) the opportunity to be listed in our directory as someone who is certificate trained. This gives survivors the ability to find someone who is a licensed mental health professional, who is trauma-certified, and who holds post-graduate training in narcissistic abuse.
For those who meet the qualifications, completed the Certificate Course, and turned in documentation of the course to us, we will send you an email with a link to set up your listing in the directory.
Choose a course to begin or continue your course work for the Certificate in Narcissistic Abuse and Survivor Treatment (N.A.S.T.).